BCA eLearning advice semester 2 2020
Dear BCA student
Student IDs will be loaded into the BCA eLearning system for the current semester this week. You should be able to login and access your unit sites from 1 August (though please keep in mind that unit coordinators may still be uploading new material to the sites until the start of semester on 3 August).
Following is an eLearning (online unit site) access and login advice, and a quick check list.
ELEARNING ACCESS ADVICE
The BCA uses the University of Sydney online Learning Management System (LMS), called Canvas. Login access is via unikey (used as a “username”) and password. These are generated by the Sydney IT dept. The LMS systems are often referred to as eLearning.
Login information varies, depending on your enrolment status, ie at which university you enrolled (Sydney or other), and when. Please look at the instructions below under the heading that applies to your current circumstances. (Choose carefully, there’s a number of categories.)
NEW STUDENTS (first enrolment this semester)
New students enrolled at all BCA universities EXCEPT the University of Sydney
Your username and password are being generated. We will email them to you individually before the start of semester.
New students enrolled at the University of Sydney
Students enrolled at the University of Sydney are loaded into sites as part of standard university-wide enrolment procedures (BCA sites are cross-linked to Sydney unit codes). We have no control over this process, but unless you enrolled late, you should be in sites by the start of semester. If all is not as it should be on 1 August, call or email us. We can give you a temporary login to cover the gap till your unikey is posted in the unit site/s.
CONTINUING STUDENTS (ie not doing their 1st BCA unit this semester – even if you withdrew from units and suspended study for the semester or year)
Students who have done BCA units in previous semesters (unless you only did EPI)
Use the unikey and password you were given at the time of starting your first BCA unit. These don’t change.
If they don’t work, contact us. We may have to refresh the password or, if a longer period of time has elapsed, ask ICT to renew the unikey.
Note to continuing students enrolled at the University of Sydney
Students enrolled at the University of Sydney are loaded into sites as part of standard enrolment procedures (BCA sites are cross-linked to USyd unit codes). We have no control over this process, but unless you enrolled late, you should be in sites by the start of semester. If all is not as it should be on 1 August, call or email us. We can give you a temporary login to cover the gap till your unikey is posted in the unit site/s.
A note about temporary logins (should you be needing one of these):
These are a temporary fix while standard unikey access is arranged through Sydney ICT. You will be able to get into your site in Canvas but you won’t appear under your own name. If you identify yourself in messages you post in Discussions, the unit coordinator/s and students will know it is you. Also, you will not be able to submit assessments on line. If you have not received your personal login details by the time of first submission, you can email your completed assessment material to the coordinator/s.
GETTING STARTED GUIDE
A Getting Started in Canvas Guide can be found here
- Login at: https://canvas.sydney.edu.au
- Enter your unikey (username) and password and hit Sign in.
Failure to log in: If you find you can’t log in, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
CLASS ATTENDANCE CHECK LIST
We need to know that you are on board and in the right spot, and that you have established your enrolment at your university.
Please note the following and contact us if:
- you can’t login on Monday 3 August;
- once you have logged into your Dashboard page in Canvas, you DON’T find the units (courses, subjects, papers) that you have enrolled in for the current semester;
- you find units on your Dashboard page that you have not enrolled in (or have subsequently withdrawn from);
- you do not hear from coordinators of units in which you’ve enrolled by semester start.
- Unit coordinators should have sent you a welcome email on 31 July. You should send a reply to this, so coordinators know you are active in the unit.
- If you receive study materials for units in which you have subsequently withdrawn, please return them to sender.
UNITS NOT ON THE My Units of Study PAGE:
- Epidemiology (EPI) is delivered from home university eLearning sites. Whether you are doing this unit via your home university or the University of Queensland, the BCA Canvas site will NOT be used. This is because EPI is delivered to a wider cohort of students at each university (eg Master of Public Health students).
- WPP (Biostatistics Research Project, Biostatistics Practical Project, Thesis in Biostatistics) is not delivered online. This is because arrangements for this unit are done within your home university. If you are ready to enrol in WPP, you should talk to your program coordinator about things like choice of project and supervision.
The final date that you can withdraw from units/subjects without incurring full financial penalty is the census dates at the end of March for semester 1 units and August for semester 2 units. This applies to all universities. Note that some universities may impose a slightly earlier date. To be sure, check the semester calendar at your home university.
We place student names in BCA class lists based on the information we (at the BCA coordinating office) find in enrolment lists that we receive from university support staff. If your name does not appear in the relevant enrolment list/s, we won’t know to put you in BCA class lists.
Note that we may have been advised about prospective enrolments via BCA forms (for new students at universities where these are used), or students may have told us in an email. Remember, if you are not officially enrolled at your home university, please organise this asap.
If you are not on the relevant enrolment lists of your HOME UNIVERSITY by the census date, we will take your name out of BCA class lists and eLearning sites for the current semester
All the best for the semester ahead. We hope you enjoy your studies!
Karolina and Emily